Friday, August 10, 2012

Beast of Bastille: Guy Georges

Born Guy Rampillon, on 15 October 1962 in Angers, France, to an American father and a French mother. His father, George Cartwright, was a soldier who worked as a cook on the NATO bases. Abandoned by his parents when he was very young, Guy was taken in by the DDASS, the French social welfare service.
He was placed with a foster family and at the age of six, to aid in his adoption, was given the surname Georges, after his father. He was adopted by the Morins and grew up in a family of 12 adopted children.
The young Georges never really received the love, attention and stability he needed and soon began to show a violent and aggressive streak in his personality.
In his first violent attack, at the age of 14, Georges tried to strangle Roselyne D, one of his mentally disabled adoptive sisters, in 1976. Two years later, he attacked another of his adoptive sisters, Christiane D, in 1978. Concerned for the welfare of her family, Mrs Morin arranged for Georges to return to the authorities of the DDASS.
Placed again in foster care, Georges was unable to control his violent urges and on 6 February 1979 he struck again. He attacked a girl, Pascale C, and tried to strangle her but she managed to escape. He was arrested by police but was released after a week. Rejected by his foster family, Georges became increasingly depressed and turned to alcohol for solace.

Police investigation was finally gaining impetus and investigators knew for certain that several of their unsolved crimes were linked and that they potentially had a serial killer on their hands. The media frenzy surrounding the killings had unleashed a level of panic in the population of Paris. Georges was being dubbed the ‘Beast of Bastille’ due to the fact that several of his attacks had occurred in the Bastille quarter, the famed Revolutionary era Parisian neighbourhood. It was one of the largest manhunts in French criminal history. Police finally found Georges in Montmartre and arrested him on 27 March 1998 for the rape and murder of Pascale Escarfail, Catherine Rock, Elsa Benady and Agnes Nijkamp. It transpired that Georges’ DNA matched that found at all four crime scenes, as well as at one attempted rape. Confronted whilst in custody with the irrefutable DNA evidence, Georges confessed to these four, as well as three other murders.
Kept in custody, Georges tried to escape in December 2000; a few weeks before his trial was due to begin. He and three cellmates attempted to saw through the bars of their cell but were caught by prison guards. Georges was assessed by psychiatrists and declared legally sane and fit to stand trial.
The three-week trial began on Monday 19 March 2001. The 50 witnesses included four women previously attacked and raped by Georges. Amongst those giving evidence were 15 experts; members of the families of some of Georges’ victims; and Georges’ 71-year-old foster mother.
Despite prosecutor Evelyne Lesieur presenting the DNA evidence as well as the confession given after his arrest, Georges pleaded not guilty to all charges at trial. He retracted his confession, claiming the police had tortured and beaten him to obtain it.
Eight days into the proceedings, a defeated Georges broke down in tears and confessed. He admitted to the original four murders, as well as to the rape and murder of Helena Frinking in 1995, Magalie Sirotti in 1997 and Estelle Magd in 1997, asking for forgiveness from the victims’ families.
On Thursday, 5 April 2001 Guy Georges, 38, was sentenced to life imprisonment, without the possibility of parole for 22 years, for the rape and murder of seven women between 1991 and 1997.
There were several people who believed that Georges could have been caught sooner and that some of his horrendous crimes could have thus been avoided. During the police investigation, officers had failed to match DNA results for several months and at least one murder was committed whilst Georges was on day release from prison.
The intense focus on the case did have a positive effect in that this was the first case of using DNA evidence to convict a criminal in France. After the Georges case, French Minister of Justice, Elisabeth Guigou, established the precedent of storing the DNA of all sex offenders in a national register.
Georges is still a suspect in a few other murders previously considered part of the Bastille series. It is believed that he will never be released from prison, as psychiatrists have described Georges as a narcissistic psychopath and warned that his urge to kill could not be cured. There are some who believe he will commit suicide whilst in prison, as he was reported as saying, “You can rest assured, I know that I will never leave prison but I can assure you that I will never serve my sentence. …The sentence that you are going to impose on me is nothing, I will inflict a sentence upon myself.”
The Victims
1976 – Roselyne D (adoptive sister) – attempted strangulation
1978 – Christiane D (adoptive sister) – attempted strangulation
February 1979 – Pascale C – attempted strangulation
May 1980 – Jocelyne S – attacked
May 1980 – Roselyne C – attacked, stabbed in face
16 November 1981 – Nathalie C, 18 – raped, stabbed and left for dead
7 June 1982 – Violette K – raped, stabbed and strangled but escaped
February 1984 – Pascale N, 21 – raped, stabbed but escaped
24 January 1991 – Pascale Escarfail, 19 – raped and murdered
22 April 1992 – Eleonore D – assaulted
7 January 1994 – Catherine Rock, 27 – raped and murdered
13 January 1994 – Annie L – attacked
8 November 1994 – Elsa Benady, 22 – raped and murdered
10 December 1994 – Agnes Nijkamp, 33 – raped and murdered
June 1995 – Elisabeth O – assaulted
8 July 1995 – Helena Frinking, 24 – raped and murdered
25 August 1995 – Melanie B – assaulted
23 September 1997 – Magalie Sirotti – raped and murdered
October 1997 – Valerie L – assaulted
16 November 1997 – Estelle Magd – raped and murdered

Pascale Escarfail

Catherine Rocher

Elsa Benady

Agnès Nijkamp

Hélène Frinking

Magali Sirotti

Estelle Magd

1 comment:

  1. This ugly soul will always blame others and will never change. He should be hanged